- About us
- Travel Styles
Totnes on the River Dart is set in a beautiful and historic part of England with lots to explore. Totnes is a small town with a big reputation for its tradition, architecture and history, and its contemporary forward-thinking culture of innovation and community action. It is the world’s first Transition Town and recognised as a leading light in the sustainability movement. We have created an amazing and vibrant programme that combine English learning and Transition Town culture in Totnes with English lessons, cultural visits, outdoor activities, Transition Town events and volunteering in community gardens or farms around this area. There is also the possibility of doing an internship or become more involved in one of the projects of Transition Town Totnes if you spend more than three months here. With this programme you will not only improve your English, but you will also experience a town that is unique in the world and learn about a social and environmental movement that has inspired the world.
Reasons to choose this programme:
Totnes is a famous town of county Devon, South of England. The school is located in the centre of the town, in the iconic Gate House building, offering an exclusive view of the trendy High street. The town boasts an array of independently owned shops, restaurants and cafés, and it has weekly markets and monthly food markets. Totnes is a hub for live music evenings and vibrant art galleries, and has a proud community spirit. Totnes is also the perfect starting point to explore the rest of Devon, with excellent transport links to the cities of Exeter and Plymouth, local towns and villages. Dartmoor national park is just ten minutes away and it has a breath taking green landscape, stone Tors, wild ponies and great outdoor activities. Totnes is also ten minutes away from the beautiful South Devon coast line, with nice beaches and cliffs.
The school is accredited by the British Council in the UK because of its small groups, interactive activities and experienced teachers. Furthermore you will have plenty of opportunities to practice English with the cultural visits of the school and the additional activities of this programme (volunteering, transition town events, talks, workshops, etc).
Types of courses:
– General English: This is a very practical course, designed to help you become a fluent communicator with clear pronunciation, a wide range of vocabulary and good grammar. Classes use books but also interactive activities to improve your speaking. There are 20 lessons per week distributed in 15 hours.
– Intensive English: This course combines General English with an extra 10 lessons a week. The focus is on developing your confidence as a speaker and communicator in English through exercises that cover lots of different topics that are useful in the real world.
– English for work: The aim of this course is learning the practical English you will need every day at work. The full programme lasts four weeks although it is possible to do it for a shorter period of time. It is the ideal course to take before doing and internship. There are 30 lessons per week: 20 of general English and 10 of English for work.
– Exams preparation: The school offers courses to prepare Cambridge exams which are recognised all over the world. There are also courses to prepare the IELTS exam, which is accepted by universities in most English speaking countries. You will practise a variety of skills (reading, writing, speaking, listening) and once a week you will have an exam practice. There are 30 lessons a week distributed in 22.5 hours.
– One-to-one lessons: The teacher will focus on your needs and your preferences, designing special classes for you. You can book 5, 10, 15 or 20 one-to-one lessons, which are 45 minutes each. You can choose to focus on general English or business English, or a combination. Most of our students combine one-to-one lessons with group lessons.
English courses run from Monday to Friday in the morning and afternoon, throughout the whole year. You can choose morning or afternoon classes depending on your preferences or your voluntary work shift (in case you are volunteering). The school usually offers at least one tourist visit and one cultural activity per week. You can also attend workshops and events in Totnes during your spare time.
There are many volunteer opportunities in town and nearby. If you are very interested in the Transition Town movement and you are here for at least two months, you can get involved in one of their projects. If you are here for shorter time, you can volunteer in some of the Transition Town events. For the ones interested in organic farming and horticulture, we know several farms and community gardens where it is possible to volunteer once a week. There are some charities and social enterprises that require volunteers for specific events, we can give you information when we know the dates you are available.
The school offers some cultural activities and tourist visits, you can check them every week in their Facebook page. The leisure activities of the school include film nights, museum visits or international dinners. You will know them once you start your classes. We will also inform you about all the events, activities and workshops in town, depending on your interests. Totnes has a great offer that is unusual for this town size.
Accommodation and meals:
– Homestay: You will have the chance to live in a Totnesian’s home and see how other people live. You can choose to eat meals with the host or prepare your own food. Homestay is also fantastic value and all within walking distance of the school.
– Shared house: This option is ideal for students who want independence and convenience. You will be living with other students and making new friends while enjoying Totnes’ social and cultural life. You can book a single room or a twin room shared with other student. There is a living room and a shared kitchen where you can cook. The house is within walking distance of the school and town centre.
The school offer tours to students (at least once a week) to several tourist attractions of the area: Dartmoor national park, Exeter, Dartmouth, Dartington, etc. We can also provide you with tourist information if you want to travel to other places own your own.
|English course||Lessons per week||Hours per week||Price per week|
|English for work||30||22.5||£260|
* Note: The price per week is for courses between 2 and 4 weeks. If your course last less than 2 weeks or more than 4 weeks, ask us for the price. It is possible to have more than 5 one-to-one lessons per week, check the price with us if you are interested.
* Book Fee (£30) covers buying or a deposit to borrow a course book. Exam Fee (£120 – 180) for Cambridge and IELTS exams.
Accommodation: (prices per week)
|Homestay single without meals||£95|
|Homestay single with meals||£135 (+£11 summer supplement)|
|Homestay twin with meals||£125 (+£11 summer supplement)|
|Shared house single||£130|
|Shared house twin||£100|
Transfers price: (operating only on Saturday)
|Exeter (per taxi)||£48|
|Bristol airport (per person and at specific times)||£60|
|Bristol (per taxi and at any time)||£120|
|London Paddington (per person at specific times)||£80|
This price includes:
– English classes.
– Accommodation (and meals for homestay if requested).
– Study material.
– Volunteering (if requested).
– Pick up service: From Totnes train or bus station.
This price does not include:
– Flights: Everyone has to book their own flight.
– Insurance: Everyone is responsible for their own travel insurance and a copy of the insurance contract must be sent to us at least two weeks before the start of the trip.
All year round, but students should arrive at the weekend to start the classes on Monday.
Currency: Great British Pound (£) GBP. (€1 corresponds to about £0.73).
Climate: The weather is England is quite humid and some areas are more rainy than others. In the winter temperatures are usually between 5ºC and 10ºC, and ocasionally drop down below 0ºC, but in the summer temperatures are around 25ºC and sometimes raising to 30ºC.
Health: European card is valid.
Eco-travel directory with tours, stays and volunteer programs that follow the guidelines of sustainable and responsible travel.