- About us
- Travel Styles
Auroville is a universal township where people of many different nationalities live together in a peaceful and harmonious way. Everything started with the vision that the Mother and her master Sri Aurobindo had in the sixties. The project was backed by the Government of India and UNESCO, and in 1968 the inauguration ceremony took place. The purpose of this unique place is to provide an opportunity for consciousness evolution to people of all classes, background and cultures. Around 2,400 of 49 nationalities live together in Auroville, being one-third from India. They try to live as much as possible in a sustainable way and with a sense of community. It is not strange that Auroville attracts visitors from all the world to experience this way of life, learn and cultivate the spirit. We offer you a program to immerse yourself in Auroville and experience all the aspects that interest you.
Highlights of this program:
It is located in the state of Tamil Nadu, 10 km North of Pondicherry and 150 km South of Chennai. Pondicherry is the regional capital of the Puducherry district and the largest city in this region. Tamil Nadu lies in the sourthernmost part of the Indian Peninsula. This state has a long tradition in agriculture and it is one of the biggest producers of rice in India. It also has some of the greatest Hindu temples, like the ones of Mahabalipuram, Thanjavur and Tiruvannamalai. Finally there are some places of natural interest like hill stations, national parks, wildlife sanctuaries and mangrove forests.
We propose a 2 week program that combines guided tours to the mains sites of Auroville, visits to some relevant projects and organic farms, meditations in the Matrimandir (the core of Auroville and temple for Aurovillians), several seminars and talks, and yoga classes (if requested). There are also tourist visits to Pondicherry and a temple town of Tamil Nadu. The program can be tailored to the interests and needs of the participants. If you are interested in a longer program or volunteering in one of the projects, please let us know and we will help you to organise it.
DAY 1 : Departure home country
DAY 2 : Arrival Chennai and transfer to Auroville – Check-in at Guest house. Late afternoon meeting the guide for a brief introduction to Auroville, the program planned, first Q&A session, etc.
DAY 3 TO DAY 10 : Explore Auroville – Exploration can touch many topics based on interest.
1) Introduction to the ideal of Auroville – A brief talk is given about The Mother and Sri Aurobindo, their ideas, their vision to create Auroville, etc. Followed by a visit to the Visitor’s Centre to watch the introductory video and a walk to the viewing point.
2) A visit to the Town Hall to give an opportunity for money exchange and to arrange the auro-card.
3) We have at least 6 seminar points, that is given by an expert in the topic: Sri Aurobindo, Mother and the Ashram, Introduction to Integral Yoga, Integral Yoga and its significance to Auroville, Economy and how it works in Auroville, International Zone of Auroville and Indian Mythology.
4) Several projects are visited to cover various topics as below – usually a member of the project meets the group, describes the type of work they do and answers various questions:
Women empowerment, Village outreach, Healing, Organic farming, Green work, Various zones of Auroville – Residential, Cultural, Industrial, Alternate Energy, Handicrafts, etc.
5) One full day visit of Pondicherry.
6) If it interests the group yoga sessions can also be included in the program.
DAY 11 : One full day visit of a temple town of India.
DAYS 12 & 13 : Free time for own exploration.
DAY 14 : Departure back home.
On your daily free time and the two days of own exploration, you can visit the nearby beach, go shopping to Pondicherry or take one of the many yoga and dancing classes at the several centres of Auroville. You could also go to the Quiet Healing Centre or another healing centre in Auroville for a session of one of the many alternative therapies and massages available.
Accommodation and meals:
There are many guest houses in Auroville with different levels of comfort and prices, from basic to luxury. Some of them include meals, mainly breakfast. Others might have a kitchen available where you can cook (especially the hostel type). There is a big community dining room in Auroville called the Solar Kitchen where you can have lunch for a reasonable price. There are some small restaurants in Auroville where you get a meal any time of the day. You could also buy food at one of the small shops of Auroville or go to the nearby village where there is even a supermarket.
Apart from the visits to Pondicherry and the temple town that are included in the program, our local agency can offer you visits to other tourist sites of Tamil Nadu, Kerala and other states of South India. It is possible to extend your stay at the end of the program to travel to the places that interest you. Please, let us know how many days and which places you wish to visit and we will prepare a proposal itinerary for you.
The price varies depending on the number of people in your group, the time of the year, the type of accommodation you choose, the activities and tourist visits you wish to do, etc. Please, let us know all these details and we will send you the quotation alongside your final itinerary.
The price will include:
– Guiding and coordination of the trip.
– All transfers and transport during the itinerary (including airport pickup and drop off).
– All the tours mentioned in the itinerary.
– Accommodation for all the nights of the program.
– All the meals mentioned in the itinerary.
– Entrance to all the monuments mentioned in the itinerary and guided tours.
– All the seminars, lessons and talks mentioned in the program.
The price will not include:
– International flights.
– Visa: The application process and cost are responsibility of every participant.
– Personal travel insurance.
– Meals: The meals not mentioned in the itinerary and drinks.
All year round. However, it is not advisable to come during monsoon times (month of December).
Our Immersion program in Auroville is for private groups from 2 to a maximum of 15. The price of the program will reduce with the number of members in the group. Furthermore, if you get more than 4 people to travel with you, you will benefit from important discounts; check Travel for free in our website for more information. For just one person it is better to join one of our travel groups because otherwise it would be too expensive as a private trip, unless you are thinking on booking specific sections. We are planning to do this program for individuals who want to join one of our groups in 2018. Please, let us know if you are interested.
Currency: Rupee (1€ corresponds to about 78 Inr).
Climate: Depending on the area, the climate can be tropical and wet or desert.
Documentation: Passport and visa.
Health: Typhoid and hepatitis A and b vaccines are recommended.
Eco-travel directory with tours, stays and volunteer programs that follow the guidelines of sustainable and responsible travel.