- About us
- Travel Styles
Costa Rica is considered the jewel of Central America for its natural beauty and its high biodiversity. It is so small that you can cross from the Atlantic to the Pacific in just one day, but still there is an amazing variety of landscapes and ecosystems. Imagine learning about sustainable living in such a paradise while you enjoy outdoor activities, yoga classes and tasty organic local food. This sustainable living immersion program will take place in a remote eco-lodge and organic farm in rural Costa Rica that has been awarded with a 5-leaf award, the highest certification in sustainable tourism in Costa Rica. The participants will be engage in the farm’s activities in which all members play a part, and all these parts are vital to the complete circle of life of this place.
Highlights of this programme:
The location of the programme is Arenal, famous for the volcano with the same name. This area is mainly covered by primary rainforest and has a very high biodiversity. The Arenal Volcano National Park has several trails that visitors can explore to discover the rich flora and fauna of the area. It is also possible to walk to the top of the smaller and older Cerro Chato Volcano. The nearby town of La Fortuna is small but has all the amenities, shops and services that you might need during your stay. It is possible to do rafting in the rivers of the area, visit La Fortuna Waterfall or do canoeing in the Lake Arenal. Finally, the volcano’s geothermal activity was used to create several beautiful hot springs. This area is full of possibilities and it will be the perfect location for your Spanish immersion.
This is a six day program focused on a basic understanding of food and sustainable living. The components of the program are the following:
– 3 hours of Service Learning Component (SLC) every day in the morning. Participants will rotate areas according to the farm’s routine that includes the vegetable gardens, animals (cows, pigs and chickens), and production areas (milk, dairy, soap making).
– 2 hours of workshops daily: They are hands-on learning experience by English and Spanish spoken instructors. They will include various topics: gardening (making beds, planting, green house, harvesting), compost making, dairy production, medicinal plants, green kitchen, etc.
Day 1: Sunday
4:00-5:15 Yoga (optional)
Welcome drink from the farm
Day 2: Monday
8:30-10:30 Ranch tour
10:30 Program overview
11:00 Introduction to agroecology
5:15 Mindfullness & Meditation
Day 3-5: Tuesday-Thursday
7:00 There is a farm activity two of the days
9:00-12:00 Service Learning Component
4:00-5:15 Yoga (optional)
Day 6: Friday
9:00-10:30 Service Learning Component
7:30-10:00 Bonfire & dance
On your first days here you will be offered a 2 hour guided tour of this place. Every day you can join yoga classes at 7 am & 4 pm. There are also natural warm and cold pools that you can use any time you wish. You can do walks in the several hiking trails around this area. Finally, you can relax at the many hot springs of the area.
Accommodation and meals:
The accommodation is in a bunkhouse equipped with 5 showers, 5 toilets and a common area. Each bedroom has a 2-person capacity and it is equipped with one bunk bed. Delicious and fresh breakfast, lunch and dinner will be served each day.
If you wish, you can book one of the tours offered at the eco-lodge: horse riding, kayaking, hiking and nature walks in Arenal National Park. They can also arrange other tours offered by several local agencies such as hanging bridges, canopy zipline, white water rafting, canyoneering, Rio Celeste National Park or Venado Caves.
First week: €630/ £510
Additional night: $65 + tax
Upgrade to single bunkhouse: $60 + tax
* Note: Prices might increase if there are exchange rate fluctuations/increases
This price includes:
– 3 hours of Service Learning Component and 2 hours of workshops daily.
– Accommodation in the bunkhouse (double occupancy).
– Three meals per day (breakfast, lunch and dinner).
– Daily yoga classes.
– 2 hour guided Ranch Tour.
– Free access to the natural warm and cold pools.
– Wireless internet access.
This price does not include:
– International flight.
– Insurance: Everyone is responsible for their own travel insurance and a copy of the insurance contract must be sent to us at least two weeks before the start of the trip.
– Transportation from the airport to the eco-lodge.
– Tours: If you are interested in doing some tours, please ask us for the price list.
All year round. Arrival on a Sunday to start the program on a Monday.
Currency: Colon (€1 corresponds to about 653 Crc).
Climate: Tropical. Average temperature of 22°C. From December to April, the weather is dry and May to November corresponds to the rain season.
Documentation: Passport only (for less than 3 months, no visa is requested).
Health: Typhoid vaccine is recommended.
Eco-travel directory with tours, stays and volunteer programs that follow the guidelines of sustainable and responsible travel.