Rwanda is one of the growing tourist destinations that attracts travelers interested in adventure travel. Among other tourist activities, Rwanda is famous for gorilla trekking which takes place in Volcanoes National Park.
Gorilla trekking is the top tourist activities in Rwanda. Most visitors travel to the Volcanoes National Park to see the mountain gorillas in the Virunga ranges and there are about twelve gorilla families that have been habituated for tourist visits. The current cost of Rwanda gorilla permit is US$1500 and it is advisable to book your pass at least six months before the actual date of your visit.
Its on record that many of Rwanda tourists go for gorilla trekking safaris and in this article, let us rationalize why many people yarn to trek gorillas in Rwanda.
- Short distance from Kigali Airport or city. The park is the most accessible of all gorilla parks in the country. The distance from Kigali to the Volcanoes National Park is a 2 hours drive. If compared to gorilla treks in Uganda that involve 8 hours drive from Entebbe to Bwindi Impenetrable and Mgahinga Gorilla National Park in Uganda, this is the easiest destination to access for travelers.
- Quick gorilla trek – Rwanda offers one day gorilla safari to save time. Tourists on tight schedule and low budget find it wise to go gorilla trekking in Rwanda. You need to fly in Kigali – spend the night and be picked from the hotel in Kigali at around 5am – transfer to Volcanoes National park- report at the briefing point by 7:30am. After 30 minutes briefing, the group of trekkers is always escorted by armed rangers to meet gorillas in their natural habitat.
- 10 Habituated gorilla families – May gorilla permits are available on daily basis since each gorilla family is visited by a maximum one hour and thereafter, return to the park headquarters – drive back to Kigali for departures to be awarded certificates of attendance – depart.
- Virunga range – Volcanoes National Park offers a clear platform of viewing Virunga mountains like Bisoke, Karisimbi, Muhabura, Sabinyo and Gahinga. Once you visit Volcanoes National Park, you will trek gorillas amidst Virunga volcanoes.
- Other attractions in Volcanoes National Park – alongside gorilla trekking, tourists can go golden monkey trekking, birding, visit the twin lakes and cultural tour among others. You can enjoy a variety of attraction to obtain maximum satisfaction.
- The surrounding accommodation – Volcanoes National Park is surrounded by many luxuries, mid-range and budget Hotels and camps among others. You can decide to stay in any of the types of accommodation basing on your interest ad budget.
- Simple trek –Volcanoes National Park offers simple trek because of few habituated gorilla families (10 groups) and rangers can easily detect where gorillas are basing on their previous location.
- Professional tour operators – Many of Rwanda tours employs qualified tour operators and on ground. They know how? When? where? And why? In Rwanda, the tour operator will answer all your questions and organize your safari effectively.
- Security – all tourists destinations are guarded by the Rwanda army, tourism police, Rwanda Development game rangers among others.
- Size of Volcanoes National Park – It covers 160 km2 (62 sq mi) of rainforest and encompasses five of the eight volcanoes in the Virunga Mountains, namely Karisimbi, Bisoke, Muhabura, Gahinga and Sabyinyo.